Big Bang was a consortium from across the ‘culture clash’ stakeholder spectrum.
Big Bang was concerned with Worklessness, social exclusion and low ambition and in particular the ‘culture clash’ between work-based culture and a culture of worklessness, social exclusion and low ambition.
The Big Bang project successfully imported and exported, tested and adapted existing innovative Vocational Education and Training (VET) methodologies developed to address the ‘clash’.
- Firstly, the YES programme developed in Austria through a Leonardo Project in 2007 which established a training toolkit for HR managers, particularly in small and medium sized entities, to recruit young people from marginalised groups and help sustain their employment.
- Secondly, the Dare2Achieve (D2A) developed by WoTs Associates and has beed delivered by 15billion in the UK, is recognised by the Skills Funding Agency, the National Apprenticeship Service and Department for Works and Pensions as a successful youth employment programme that responds specifically to the needs of marginalised young people. D2A addresses the soft skills and emotional resilience gaps identified by the Confederation of British Industry and the International Labour Organisation as key to the poor participation in and the early drop-out rate of many young marginalised people entering work.
In terms of outcomes, Big bang takes these methodologies and materials and, through a process of comparative analysis, design, testing and synthesis, produced new guidance and training materials for the target group of VET-related professionals (trainers; employability, information advice and guidance (EIAG) workers). The materials will accompany a new competency framework for VET professionals, which draws from the national VET systems and align to the European Qualification Framework.
Our impact, ultimately, was that through this process and our accompanying dissemination programme, we;
- identified a holistic solution to the ‘cultural clash’ concept;
- helped equip VET and EIAG professionals to more effectively assist the young marginalised people that represent the need for this project;
- and support of the social inclusion and cohesion objective of Europe 2020 growth strategy for the coming decade